What is this?
It is a thread-safe freeware resolver library for Un*x
Is it compatible with the "standard" resolver library?
- In some areas, yes. In some other areas, no.
- It supports most options in /etc/resolv.conf
- It does not support the same API as the normal resolver. It is much simpler.
- It is just as paranoid as the normal resolver.
- It requires that the nameserver(s) that is queries support "recursion".
- By default it is a bit more aggressive doing retransmits.
- It always uses UDP.
Why did you make it?
I needed a freeware thread-safe resolver library not covered by *PL license agreements.
Why is it called "irl" ?
Ivan's Resolver Library
Who is the author?
Me. You can contact me at contact
Where can I send fan letters?
See the answer above.
Where can I get it?
Here: gzipped tar-file (7KB)